Saturday, June 27, 2015

American Kestrel - My Best Nature Photo EVER

My son and I went to McConnells Mill State Park in Portersville, Pa to take some nature photos. I was getting some great shots of the gristmill, waterfall, and wild flowers.

Suddenly, we noticed a small bird perched on a stone wall beside the mill. At first, we thought it was an owl, eventually we determined it was a small falcon, an American kestrel to be exact.

I was so excited to get these pictures!! It made my night!!

He sat perfectly still for approximately 20 minutes, while I took "tons" of pictures!!

Some people call them Sparrow Hawks.
It's the smallest falcon in North America.
Linking to:
Saturday's Critters

6 comments:

  1. What a cool sighting! Your photos of the Kestrel are awesome! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone! I'm really proud of these pictures. My family is sick of hearing about it though. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful captures. It is great when they sit long enough to get photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been watching for a kestrel. Love that you found one and the colors are fascinating --- the RG says Good Job!

    ReplyDelete